Fw: Re: [press at apache.org: PRESS RELEASE: ASF Reaches Agreement with Sun to Allow Open Source Java Implementations]

Zsolt Kuti kuti at cetelem.hu
2002. Ápr. 3., Sze, 13:53:02 CEST

Sziasztok!

A java listarol egy erdekesseg (igazabol ketto).

Udv
Zsolt

----------------------

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 04:54:02 +0100
From: Jorge de Lucas y Cadenas <jdelucas at usa.net>
To: freebsd-java at FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: Re: [press at apache.org: PRESS RELEASE: ASF Reaches Agreement
with Sun to  Allow Open Source Java Implementations]

BTW:
I just tested the Shared Source CLI (Rotor) from
Microsoft, it compiles, and the basic examples
do actually work.

As Sun has never made things
easy for Java developers under
FreeBSD, I guess they might learn something
from what MS is doing.

Here is some useful information:
http://www.microsoft.com/partner/products/microsoftnet/SharedSourceCsharpCLIFAQ.asp
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2002/03/27/archtour.html
http://msdn.microsoft.com/net/sscli

Of course I prefer Java but...
this might be an alternative
worth considering.

Regards,

Jorge

Bill Huey wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 09:46:57AM -0800, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>
>>Yep, there are lots of pessimistic scenarios in this.  The question is
>>whether anyone will care if/when high quality open source JVMs start
to>>appear.

> It's pretty difficult to do so because of the size of shear size of
> the JVM and because it's a moving target.
>
> Slightly off topic, but the Mono folks have a better chance of getting
> a .NET compatible system useable more so that the JVM folks it seems.
>
> I'm quite interested in CLR and CIL in .NET in that having an
> universal typing system across all languages targetted to it is very
> cool.
>
>>>Sun is vitally interested in controlling the Java platform, so if
they>>>give with one hand they need to take with the other hand
somewhere>>>else...

--

Jorge de Lucas y Cadenas <jdeluca at attglobal.net>
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE

PGP Key Fingerprint20 = A21E AD4D C928 50F4 6F33  0D40 2AFD CFC3 5C57
AC03 Diffie-Hellman:
PGP Key Fingerprint20 = 4A7C 54BE 8264 428C 026F  784F 4FE6 3403 C4B1
55AA GPG Key fingerprint = 65FE 47C3 8C5A 3045 6818  F6B3 111F D35D 33CD
66BB