FreeBSD Magyar keymaps/font maps?

Szabolcs Szigeti (PinkPanther) pink at fsz.bme.hu
1998. Aug. 25., K, 09:07:48 CEST

On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Julian Elischer wrote:

> Sajnos sok egy kicsit (?) magyarul tudok, de
> tala'n erten (?)
>
> Is this mapping some standard? (from trying to read the hungarian
> it seems you may be saying this is a Microsoft standard?)
>
> do hungarian keyboards have extra printing on the keys to identify
> these additions or do you have to "just know"?

Oops, sorry Julian, i'll summerize it in english. This mapping is used
indeed by microsoft windows, and is the same as the printing on the
Hungarian keyboards (the altgr symbols are also printed there). That's why
some of us suggested, that there should be at least one mapping
corresponding to this or more appropriately the shouldn't be yet another
mapping.

In fact there are two mappings in windows, one for the 101 key and the
other for the 102 key keyboards (main difference is the place of i' and
0 i think).

Unfortunately this maps a lot of otherwise useful keys, like { or \ to be
accessible by altgr, which is a nuisance when doing anything else than
editing hungarian text. Howevev, i stongly support the idea of coming up
with at least two mappings: one identical with the ms 'standard' (and the
graphic on Hungarian keyboards. We might even need two of these, for 101
and 102 keys, and the infamous qwerty <-> qwertz problem) and the other
which looks more or less same as the US layout, except that accented
letters are accessible by alt.

szabolcs